The Top Reasons Why You Should Upgrade your Phone System
Traditional phone lines are still the primary means of communication for a large number of businesses, used more often than fax machines, skype, and even computers. Other than speaking in person, nothing can beat a direct telephone call, just because it’s so easy and immediate. It’s often the main method through which your clients keep in touch with you, because it makes you more immediately accessible than email or fax ever could for detailed discussions. When you’re using something that frequently, you should ensure that it’s kept up to date and updated when necessary. After all, you change your computers once every few years. Why are you still using a telephone system that was considered average back in the 90’s?
You upgrade your phone, your computer, and even your car. Well the reason for upgrading your phone system is the exact same! New technology is always emerging, and it allows for much greater functionality than what you currently have, usually for the same or even a lower price. Five years ago, cell phones could barely hold 4 GB of storage, and did little more than call and text. Today they do more than basic computers, and can have up to 2 TB of storage! If greater innovation comes at the price that you already pay, why not embrace it?
If we’re talking about limited functionality, traditional desk phones are just too basic to be of much use nowadays. What if your customers need you to immediately engage in a video call, call conferencing, or requires switching over to Bluetooth when on the run? Call transferring, intercom, voicemail, and call conferencing come standard with even the cheapest phone systems, with more advanced systems offering the bigger and better features mentioned above.
Today’s high end VoIP and Hybrid telephone systems are defined by cloud-hosted communication services. Computer software and email integration, HD voice and video options, wireless handsets, and mobile phone connectivity are the latest technology being integrated into business telephone systems, and more and more businesses embracing the enhanced functionality it can offer.
Some of these features may be compatible with your old telephone systems, but most of them will require you to upgrade to a new system. By this point you might already be convinced, or you could be thinking that these are just high-tech terms which won’t add any real substance to your office environment. Well, much like those who rejected adopting the use of internet in the early 90’s, this belief is simply incorrect, as these technologies have come to define not just cutting-edge and innovative businesses, but many SMB firms.
Take a look at these reasons for upgrading immediately!
- Current system: Usually, people upgrade because their current system or technology just doesn’t work the way it should, or when it just stops working altogether (system down!). Usually, this is because it was faulty or mis-programmed right from the start, or maybe because it’s deteriorated over time. Perhaps you failed to fix an issue earlier on, and now you’re stuck with a massive pile up. Regardless, the system you have now is just not doing what it needs to do for your company. This means your system is dead weight, and you should be looking into immediately upgrading.
- Outdated Equipment: Even if your telephone system is working, it’s still severely outdated! The same way that it’s time for your dad to ditch his 1988 rusty minivan, it’s time for you to ditch the POTS and adopt a powerful system that has state of the art features. And maybe pick up your dad a 2017 ECO-SUV while you’re at it.
- Company Growth: Very often, rather than a phone system becoming outdated, the company will simply outgrow it. Maybe it can do some of the coolest things on the market, but it might just not suite the size of your company. So upsize your phone system before it starts downsizing your company.
- Unequipped for Business: At one point, your company stopped operating out of your basement and moved into a real office. But your basic consumer phone system came right with you, and is now the pillar of your office environment. It’s time to get a real business phone system, and something like the NEC SV9100 or SV9300 could be the right choice for you.
So you’ve finally realized that your phone system is lacking serious functionality, and you plan to upgrade. But do you know exactly what you’ll be upgrading to? Can you figure out what features most important you, and which ones are just gimmicks? Sure, maybe the salesman at “Jim’s Telco” is telling you that your business phone line should be able to play the Canadian anthem as its ringtone, but will this really benefit your business, and is he certified on the product to advise accordingly?
Speak to your employees (and to yourself), get expert consultation with a certified professional sales person (which we have), and ask these important questions.
- What features are available?
- What do you think you want your phone system to do?
- Which features will improve your businesses efficiency?
- Can any new technology help achieve your goals or do you need a certain platform?
- With IP telephone systems being at the top of chain, do they fulfill these needs?
- Do you think that integrating your computers, phones, and tablets with your telephone system will increase your productivity? (The answer to this question is often a resounding, “Yes”.)
- Which feature do you care about most?
Before even looking to get a new phone system, you need to sit down and seriously consider which of this functionality matters to you. When you go to buy a car, you usually ask yourself what matters in a vehicle before walking in to buy it. A telephone system is no different; it simply requires a little research.
Don’t go through this important process alone. Call Meteortel to talk an expert, and get your new communication system up and running in no time!